Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Transfer from Puerto Varas to mountain shelter for equipment checks and rest before the climb.
- Early hike to the glacier, continuing to reach the summit of the volcano by 1pm. Descend and transfer to Puerto Varas.
Information meeting, equipment check, paperwork. This magical experience begins by driving in the late afternoon from Puerto Varas to the mountain shelter, "El Refugio Teski" on the flanks of the Osorno Volcano (1200m.). We will drive approx. 1.5/2 hours on asphalt road. Here we will rest, have dinner, check and prepare our equipment, and we will register the activity with the mountain's ranger (CONAF).
Dinner, Overnight in a mountain hut.
The ascent towards the 2,656m summit starts before sunrise. The first 2 hours are the trekking to arrive to the glacier (2.000m), it can be a volcanic scree or snow slopes. On the glacier we put our equipment to the glacier crossing and then we continue to take the last 400m of the steep icy slope before to climb the bergschrund and step on the summit. Due to the conditions of the mountain and its glacier, the latest time that we can summit is 13:00. From the summit, we not only take a rest, but enjoy the panoramic views of the Lakes Region: Take Todos los Santos, Petrohue River Valley, Lake Llanquihue, Lake Rupanco, volcanoes Puntiagudo, Tronador, Calbuco, Casablanca, Puyehue and if there is good visibility, Llaima volcano in the far off Araucania Region.
We will begin our descent from the summit and return to the rangers office by 17:00 to take our transfer back down to Puerto Varas.
This is a difficult hike and will require previous climbing experience.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $251 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
The price for one person is CLP $180000 and for 2 to 6 persons is CLP $165000 per person.
Departures can be set up on a date of your choice, subject to the availability of guides.
This is a difficult climb, all participants must be in adequate physical shape to participate in up to 8 hours of physical activity.
- Local mountain guides (spanish, english) certified and authorized by CONAF
- Transportation (as mentioned in the itinerary)
- Gear (ropes, helmet, harness, trekking poles, gaiters, crampons, ice axes, carabiners, slings, belay/rappel device, ascenders)
- Activity insurance
- First aid kit (WFR)
- Self-rescue equipment in case of emergency
- Satellite phone ($4USD per minute)
- Satellite messenger and/or VHF radios
- Accommodation (sleeping bag required) in the mountain hut with dinner and breakfast.
- Personal gear
- Travel insurance
- Porters or horses
- Extra expenses for cities
- Meals not specified in the itinerary or not included in the menu
- Extra nights lodging in cities or due to changes in the itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages
- Guide tips
- Everything else not mentioned in the program.