Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Stay the night at a charming mountain shelter to check your equipment and rest before the climb
- Set your eyes on the goal enjoying views of the snow-peaked volcano from your accommodation
- Head out on the hike before sunrise, watching the sun wake up Southern Chile as you ascend
- View the Lakes Region in its vastness from the summit
- Includes transfers from and to Puerto Varas
Day 1: Puerto Varas to Refugio Teski
Information meeting, equipment check, paperwork. This magical experience begins by driving in the late afternoon from Puerto Varas to the mountain shelter, "El Refugio Teski" on the flanks of the Osorno Volcano (1,200m.). The journey takes approx. 1.5/2 hours on asphalt road.
Upon arrival, you'll be able to rest before enjoying a dinner inspired by the local culture and cold climate with your fellow adventurers. Then you'll discuss the plans for the trek, check and prepare your equipment, and register the climb with the mountain's ranger (CONAF).
Accommodation: Refugio Teski
Day 2: Summit the volcano
The ascent towards the 2,656m summit starts before sunrise, as the conditions of the mountain and its glacier warrant a summit before 13:00. For the first two hours you will be trekking to arrive to the glacier (2,000m); depending on the time of the year you will be walking over either volcanic scree or snow slopes.
On the glacier, you will complete a crossing using your equipment and then continue to trek the last 400m of the steep icy slope before climbing the bergschrund and reaching the summit. Admire the spectacular panoramic views of the Lakes Region: Take Todos los Santos, Petrohue River Valley, Lake Llanquihue, Lake Rupanco, volcanoes Puntiagudo, Tronador, Calbuco, Casablanca, Puyehue and if there is good visibility, Llaima volcano in the far off Araucania Region.
After some time of rest, begin your descent, returning to the rangers office by 17:00 to take your transfer back down to Puerto Varas.
Please note, this is a difficult hike and will require previous climbing experience.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
The price for one person is CLP $180000 and for 2 to 6 persons is CLP $165000 per person.
Departures can be set up on a date of your choice, subject to the availability of guides.
This is a difficult climb, all participants must be in adequate physical shape to participate in up to 8 hours of physical activity.
- Local mountain guides (spanish, english) certified and authorized by CONAF
- Transportation (as mentioned in the itinerary)
- Gear (ropes, helmet, harness, trekking poles, gaiters, crampons, ice axes, carabiners, slings, belay/rappel device, ascenders)
- Activity insurance
- First aid kit (WFR)
- Self-rescue equipment in case of emergency
- Satellite phone ($4USD per minute)
- Satellite messenger and/or VHF radios
- Accommodation (sleeping bag required) in the mountain hut with dinner and breakfast.
- Personal gear
- Travel insurance
- Porters or horses
- Extra expenses for cities
- Meals not specified in the itinerary or not included in the menu
- Extra nights lodging in cities or due to changes in the itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages
- Guide tips
- Everything else not mentioned in the program.