Matthew returned in March from a Self Guided W Trek in Torres del Paine. Here he tells us about his experiences on the trip and in booking with Swoop and our partners…
What did Swoop do well?
I liked using Swoop because they responded in a timely fashion to all of my queries, and could speak fluent English. I had a lot of trouble when I first started looking for a company, and Swoop were able to solve the problems I was unable to resolve with the Chilean companies.
What could we have done differently?
If possible, it would have been great to have received some guidance on how to get to Puerto Natales, opportunities for extra activities by taking the bus straight from Punta Arenas Airport to Puerto Natales, things to consider when packing, etc. I know you have the website, but I one sheet would be great. Also you could mention how much food you get if you buy the trek with meals included… So much!
Would you recommend us to friends, family or colleagues for a trip to Patagonia?
How were Swoop’s partners who ran the W Trek in Torres del Paine?
They were fine, the itinerary was good, and was pretty accurate, and there is nothing I would change about the trip.
Do you have any tips for other people planning a trip?
1. Choose a trek with meals included, you will not go hungry! No need to bring additional food.
2. The third day is the longest, so start early and enjoy the French Valley.
3. No need to bring your own food.
4. Do not stay in Punta Arenas, go straight to Puerto Natales and going Kayaking.
5. The conversion of USD to Pesos drops in the rufigos, so be prepared.
6. The trails are well traveled so don’t worry about getting lost.
7. The beds are single beds unless you can get a cabin on the third night (get the cabin if you can!).
8. Take the last ferry (630ish), cause if you take the 5PM you have to wait for the late ferry before leaving.
9. Make accommodation reservations in Puerto Natales for the night you return from the trek.
10. Make sure you have enough things to do at night (eg, deck of cards, etc).
11. Bring sunscreen.
What was the highlight of your trip?
The French Valley Glacier and the Towers.