Often people find themselves with just a day or half day to spare in Ushuaia between treks, cruises or other activities, so Swoop has compiled this list of suggestions for things to do whilst you’re there.
If you’re planning to spend longer than a day or two in the region the region (perhaps on an Antarctic or Tierra del Fuego Cruise, a Multi day Trek, or a trip to Cape Horn) then do get in touch – we would love to help you!
There is plenty to see and do in Ushuaia itself by simply sightseeing on foot, but if you are feeling a little more adventurous there are number of fantastic day trips you could consider as well…
- Maritime Museum: https://www.museomaritimo.com/eindex.php
The Maritime museum of Ushuaia is housed in the former prison of Ushuaia, which was closed down in 1947, and declared a National Historic Monument in 1997. There are some intriguing halls depicting penal life, and an exhibit of incredibly detailed scale models of famous ships spanning 500 years. It provides a really unique insight into the region’s history.
- Estancia Harberton: https://www.estanciaharberton.com/homeenglish.html
The oldest estancia in the Argentine region of Tierra del Fuego, this picturesque ranch provides a fascinating insight into the history of the region, as well as being an ideal base from which to explore.
- Martillo Island Penguin Excursion: https://www.swoop-patagonia.com/martillo-island-penguin-walk
Spend a morning walking amongst cute Gentoo penguins on Isla Martillo in the Beagle Channel in Tierra del Fuego. On the way you’ll stop at Ushuaia’s most important historical site, Estancia Harberton.
- Meet the Beavers: https://canalfun.com/en/excursions-in-ushuaia/emerald-lagoon–meet-the-beavers/1/28
A great opportunity to discover the amazing colour of the Emerald Lagoon and the habitats and behaviours of these intriguing rodents!
- Boat trips (3 or 6 hours): https://www.tolkeyenpatagonia.com/es/turismo-en-ushuaia,7/
- Sailing: https://www.tresmariasweb.com/en/
From the Sky!
- Small aeroplane trips (30 minute or 1 hour flights): https://www.aeroclubushuaia.com/en/
- Helicopter trips: https://www.heliushuaia.com.ar/en/
Active & Adventurous
- Trekking, Kayaking & 4×4 Adventures: https://canalfun.com/en
Exciting day trips including trekking, canoeing, kayaking, horse riding and wildlife spotting for those who want to try something a little more adventurous.
- Martial Glacier Hike
Take a taxi to the Cerro Martial ski centre and take the easy hike to the martial glacier for fantastic panoramas of Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel.
A lovely horse back ride between the Beagle channel and Monte Susana, up to panoramic views of Ushuaia’s city and peninsula.
Eating & Drinking
Check out our blog post on top places to eat and drink in Patagonia. A top suggestion for Ushuaia is Ramos Generales, where you can sample the locally brewed Cape Horn Beer, and one of their speciality Merengue Penguins!
If you’re looking for a place to stay in Ushuaia then look no further, Swoop has compiled a list of their most recommended Places to Stay in Ushuaia for a variety of budgets.