Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Transfer from El Chalten, hike the Rio Electrico to camp, see FitzRoy's northern face & the Pollone Glacier
- Climb to Laguna de los Tres, up close to Cerro Torre and be rewarded with breathtaking views of Mt Fitz Roy
- Explore the Laguna Torre valley and transfer back to El Chalten
Day 1: Trek to Piedra del Fraile and Pollone Glacier
The day starts with a 30 minute transfer from El Chalten to Rio Electrico. From here we start walking along the Electrico valley, through an enchanting lenga forest until we arrive at Piedra del Fraile, about 2 hours later. This will be our home for the night. After a short break and some lunch we continue along the valley towards the Pollone Glacier. The trek here is against the prevailing winds from the Continental Ice field. We are able to appreciate raw nature at its best; pure rock and ice. Along the way we admire a different angle of Mt Fitz Roy, its Northern Face. After a short break at this hidden lagoon at the base of the mountains we return to our refuge to enjoy a hot meal and rest.
Length of excursion: 15 km , 6 hours
Meals: Lunch, dinner
Accommodation: Piedra del Fraile Refuge
Day 2: Trek to Laguna De los Tres and Laguna Capri
After breakfast we will head off towards the Piedras Blancas glacier and river. There is a river crossing over large boulders! We will then arrive at Rio Blanco campsite. From here the path ascends steeply up to Laguna de los Tres, the closest we can get to Fitz Roy without doing anything technical. The effort is all made worthwhile by the breathtaking views we get at the top; of Mt Fitz Roy, its satellite mountains and the view of the valley we have been walking along. Weather permitting; we will have lunch at the lagoon. We will then start the descent back towards Poincenot Campground.
Length of excursion: 17 km, 7/8 hours
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Overnight: Poincenot Campground
Day 3: Trek to Laguna Torre
If you are lucky you will have got up early to take sunrise photos of Mt Fitz Roy in a beautiful hue of red, reflected on Laguna Capri! After breakfast we will continue through the beautiful lenga forests past the lagoons - Madre, Hija and Nieta. The path is quite flat, a break after the climbing of the day before! After a couple of hours we will drop in to the glacial valley that takes us towards Laguna Torre. This valley is loved by geologists and photographers for its perfect "U" shape. At the end of the valley we will find the Laguna Torre, its glacier and the famous Mt Torre - considered one of the most difficult mountains in the world to climb. After lunch at the lagoon we head back towards El Chalten along the Fitz Roy River valley
Length of excursion: 18 km/ 6 hours
Meals: Breakfast, lunch
What our customers think
Making it to Laguna De los Tres, jumping in the frigid waters and camping with the range in sight. Incredible!
Nic and Julie Iannarone October 2016
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $770 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
The trip price varies depending on group size as shown below: 4 people - USD $ 770 3 people - USD $ 880 2 people - USD $ 1,100
- Mountain Guide
- Transfer on Day 1 - from El Chalten to Rio Electrico.
- Entrance fees to private property.
- Technical mountain equipment.
- Group camping and cooking equipments.
- Meals during the trek (*): 2 breakfasts, 3 pack lunches, 2 afternoon teas and 2 dinners.
- 1 night in a basic refuge: - dorm accommodation (made up bed). Shared bathrooms outside.
- 1 night of camping at Laguna Capri in 2 man tents with sleeping bag and sleep mats (basic campsite, only a long drop toilet available).
- National Park permission of Tourist activities (P.N.L.G.).
- Accommodation in El Chalten pre and post trek (please ask for help)
- Additional porters.
- Alcoholic drinks or fizzy drinks.
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Personal expenses and equipment
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses