What are the regions of Patagonia?
If you add up all the trips, I must have spent about a year in total in Patagonia and I don't think I've seen more than 10% of it. You don't ever get used to the scale of it. Every time, it takes your breath away because you'll be in a different part, or a different season. It's always new.
Harriet Pike Trekking, Mountaineering & Cycling Specialist
Regions and Geographical Landmarks of Patagonia
The major regions for adventure travel, from North to South are:
- The Chilean and Argentine Lake District
- El Chalten, Mount Fitz Roy, Perito Moreno and the South Patagonian Ice Cap
- Torres del Paine National Park
- Tierra del Fuego
Also, see our guide to where to go in Patagonia for more information on these places and other less visited destinations.
The major geographical landmarks are:
- The Patagonian Ice Cap (aka Hielo Continental, or Ice Sheet) - both North and the larger South can be seen when trekking in Patagonia. The Ice Cap feeds nearly 100 glaciers across the region
- The volcanoes of northern Patagonia
- The Magellan Straits and Cape Horn, which are visited on Patagonia Cruises
- The Andes themselves - although they lose some of their altitude as they extend south into Patagonia, they lose none of their drama or majesty. Trekking Fitz Roy and El Chalten allows you to behold the wonderful spectacle of Cerro Fitz Roy's 3,375m peak
- The Patagonian Steppe - thousands of miles of semi-arid desert lie to the East of the Andes and in their rain shadow
- The Carretera Austral - the 'Southern Highway' stretches through over 1200km of rugged Patagonian landscape
Swoop's Interactive Google Maps
Swoop has put together some Google Maps to help you understand Patagonia's Regions, Activities, Hotels & Airports.
Ready to plan your Patagonia adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.
Whatever your budget, group size, length of stay, preferred activity or appetite for adventure, we can help.1-855-369-7866