Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 7 day’s kayaking / 6 night’s camping along the coast of Gulf of San Jose
- Daily hikes along the coast and in the steppe
- History and archeology
- Imposing cliffs and impressive landscape
- Marine fossils millions of years old
- Marine and land birdwatching
- Daily marine wildlife viewing: southern right whales; sea lions; Magellanic penguins and elephant seals.
Landmarks visited on Valdes Kayak Spectacular
Upon arrival to Trelew airport, you will meet a Patagonia Explorers guide to drive you to Puerto Piramides, which is a small village located in the Peninsula Valdes nature reserve. Once in the hotel you will be greeted by the Patagonia Explorers team and take part in an orientation chat about your expedition. We will then enjoy a welcome dinner together.
Accommodation: Del Nomade Ecolodge, Puerto Piramides.
Meals included: dinner
In the morning we will drive to San Jose gulf and the departure site of our kayak expedition.
The next seven days will be spent enjoying and exploring the magnificent coast and wildlife of this gulf. The paddling distances are approximately 10/15kms per day, allowing us a good margin of time to observe the different marine mammals, especially southern right whales and sea lions. There will also be marine birds and other highlights, such as several hikes to enjoy interesting landscapes and archaeological sites. There will of course also be time to relax and enjoy excellent food, accompanied by pure and wild nature.
Meals included: breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner
In order to have a first hand experience with a real authentic Patagonian sheep farm, once the kayak expedition is completed we will drive to an estancia (ranch), to rest and relax.
A delicious dinner at the estancia will be accompanied with fine Argentinean wine. The lodge is home to descendants of some of the peninsula's first while settlers.
Accommodation: overnight at the estancia.
Meals included: dinner
After breakfast you will enjoy a half day activity at the estancia (a hike to view penguins or sea lions). After lunch we'll take a land tour to the external coast of the peninsula, reaching the Atlantic Ocean where we will be able to appreciate the diversity of wildlife and the impressive landscape.
You will visit points such as Punta Norte, Caleta Valdes and Punta Delgada and be able to observe wildlife such as southern marine elephant seals; southern sea lion colonies, Magellanic penguins and with any luck, we may have the chance to see orcas!
We return to Piramides village and overnight again at the Del Nomade Ecolodge.
Meals included: breakfast and lunch
Departure day and transfer to Trelew airport.
Meals included: breakfast
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $3,000 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
- Qualified expedition guides
- Entrance fee to Peninsula Valdes Nature Reserve
- Scheduled hotel accommodations on Days 1 and 9, based on double or triple occupancy
- Day 8 accommodation at a Patagonian ranch (estancia) in the heart of the peninsula where you will enjoy regional food, fine Argentinean wines and spectacular views from the Patagonian steppe.
- Entry fees to the Peninsula Valdes Nature Reserve
- All group camping and cooking gear
- Expedition sea kayaks and equipment
- Ground transportation as mentioned in itinerary, as well as airport transfers to Puerto Madryn and/or Trelew
- All meals whilst on the kayak expedition itself
- Any additional meals not specified in itinerary
- Personal gear
- All personal costs such as phone calls, laundry, excess beverages e.g. mineral waters, wines and liquors, laundry, room service, insurance
- Airport transfers, transfers between airports and hotels when deviating from the appointed flights and dates of the group schedule
- Trip cancellation insurance that also covers medical issues and/or evacuation
- Staff/guide gratuities or tips