Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
Day 1: Kayaking in the San José Gulf; Camp
Day 2: Kayaking in Fracasso Bay; Camp
Day 3: Kayak to a sea lion colony; Puerto Pirámides
Day 1: Kayaking in the San José Gulf
Early this morning, we'll drive from Puerto Pirámides to San José Gulf, where our adventure begins. Our guide will help us set up our kayaks and give us a detailed briefing on security guidelines and environmental regulations. We'll then have some time to become comfortable with our kayaks before setting off.
The starting point will be along the south coast of the gulf, and we head for the Punta Conos area. Here we will stop for lunch and rest up. Two more hours of paddling from here we'll stop for the day and set up our first camp. We'll enjoy a wonderful sunset and have a delicious dinner. It is possible to observe whales both from our kayaks and from the shore.
Total paddling distance: Approx 10km
Meals: Picnic lunch, dinner
Day 2: Kayaking in Fracasso Bay
After breakfast we pack up our camp, climb back into our kayaks and paddle to the remains of a Spanish fort. We'll stop for lunch on a beach and then follow cliffs to enchanted bay where we'll set up our camp for the night.
Once we have rested we'll have the opportunity to hike up the cliffs for fantastic panoramic views of the San José Gulf. This is one of the best areas to see whales close to the shore.
Total paddling distance: Approx 15km
Meals: Breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Day 3: Kayak to a sea lion colony
After breakfast we pack up our camp and embark on the final leg of our trip to Villarino Beach. On the way we will pass a southern sea lion colony where the sociable creatures will dive into the water and come to welcome us.
We'll finish kayaking in the afternoon and will be met by our transport to take us back to Puerto Pirámides, where we plan to arrive in the late afternoon, tired yet exhilarated by such an overwhelming experience.
Having spend two nights under the stars, surrounded by nature at its rawest and gained a profound appreciation for the wildlife of Valdés that few will ever know. You'll probably want to head out into the small town of Puerto Pirámides to celebrate such a momentous trip.
Total paddling distance: Approx 10km
Meals: Breakfast, picnic lunch
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
The price of USD $1,150 per person is based on a group of two people.
Group size – 12 maximum, 2 minimum.
Transport from/to Puerto Madryn or Trelew – This trip begins and finishes in Puerto Pirámides. Transport from/to Puerto Madryn or Trelew can easily be organised. Please ask us for more details.
Experience – No previous kayaking experience is necessary, but you must be able to swim and fell comfortable in remote areas.
Fitness – Participants should be fit and willing to assist in hauling kayaks and group equipment.
- Meals + water: 2 breakfasts, 3 picnic lunches, 2 dinners
- Accommodation: 2 nights camping in double expedition tents with sleeping mat
- English and Spanish-speaking expedition guides
- All group camping and cooking gear for 2 nights/3 days
- Entrance fee to Peninsula Valdés Nature Reserve
- All kayak equipment: double sea-kayaks, paddles, life-jackets, dry-bags, waterproof jackets, mittens and neoprene skirts
- Ground transportation as mentioned in itinerary
- Full medical kit, GPS, satellite phone, VHF radios
- Meals not specified in the itinerary
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Hotel accommodation in Puerto Pirámides
- Personal equipment (see our recommended kit list)
- Sleeping bag
- Personal travel insurance
- Medical and evacuation insurance
- International and domestic/in-country flights
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses