Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Two nights stay at enchanting private lodge on Las Bandurrias Island
- Horseback riding through ancient forests
- Trek around crystal clear lakes
- Jet boat across the Chilean/Argentinean border
Landmarks visited on Island Border Crossing
Timing: 4 hours in a private transfer including several stops; 45 minutes ferry crossing, 1.5 hours riding
The trip starts at your hotel in Puerto Varas where a private transfer will pick you up. The transfer will take you to the east where you will be able to see some spectacular views of the Reloncavi Fjord, the traditional little town of Cochamo with its wooden church to finally get inside the Andes.
Time for an exquisite lunch in front of the Tagua Tagua Lake before catching the ferry to the other side. Once across, you will follow the road down inside the Puelo Valley to meet the 'baquianos' and the Creole horses to load up.
You will cross the Puelo River just as the locals do - on a public boat while the horses swim alongside. Accommodation will be at a local farm for the first night.
Accommodation: Local farm
Meals: Lunch, Tea, Dinner
Timing: 5-6 hours horseback riding
This morning you will set off on a full-day ride towards Bandurrias Island. The area you will cross is particularly spectacular due to its huge trees, scenery and river crossing. You will stop for a picnic lunch near the Ventisqueros River. In the afternoon, the ride will pass through an enchanting forest before reaching 'Las Rocas' Lake and where you will sail ten minutes across to Las Bandurrias Island. A warm bed and traditional meal await.
Accommodation: Island Lodge
Meals: Breakfast, Boxed-lunch, Tea, Dinner
Timing: Walking 4-5 hours
After a hearty breakfast, you will visit Azul Lake with its crystal clear waters and abundant fish life. The majestic peaks and stunning landscapes make this the perfect spot for a picnic and if you're feeling brave...a dip in the lake!
After lunch, you will walk on ancient trails through the forest and along the mountains passing through a typical cold jungle or Valdivian-type rainforest. You will enjoy its ancient Alerce trees (Fitzroy Cupresoide) as well as other local 'giants' such as the Coihue and Arrayanes (the cold tree). The trail will end at the shore of Las Rocas Lake. You'll then sail back to the private island lodge.
Accommodation: Island Lodge
Meals: Breakfast, Boxed lunch, Tea, Dinner
Timing: 15 minute motor boat; 30 minute walk; 1 hour motorboat crossing international lakes; 3 hours private transfer from Puelo Lake to Bariloche
After a homemade breakfast, take the motorboat and head to the east side of Lake Las Rocas. You will see the stunning beauty of Inferior Lake and the source of the Puelo River - a major river that flows into the Pacific Ocean. You arrive at the customs and immigration post for Chile from where it is a short walk to reach Inferior Lake. Here, a motorjet boat will take you across the lake and then down the river through a short rapid which is the natural border between both countries. Once you reach Lago Puelo National Park you'll pass through Argentine border control. From the far end of the lake, you will take a private transfer to El Bolson where there'll be a stop for lunch. If possible, you'll take a tour of a traditional arts and crafts market. Later in the afternoon, arrive at the town of Bariloche.
Meals: Breakfast, Boxed lunch
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
- Price is per person based on a group of two
- We can help arrange a hotel in Puerto Varas the night before your trip starts and in Bariloche at the end of your trip
- This itinerary is flexible and can be extended if you'd like to explore the area further on horseback or spend additional time in a family homestay
- Pickup from Puerto Varas and drop off in Bariloche
- Full board accommodation and meals including 1 night at a local farm and 2 nights at Bandurrias Island retreat
- Lunch at restaurant on Day 1 and 4
- Box lunch on Day 2 and 3
- Pack horses and saddle horses
- Ferry transfer
- International jetboat
- Local guides
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Personal expenses and equipment
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses