Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Choose between a three, four or five night trip as detailed in the itinerary
- Reach the Traidor River by horseback, enjoying a traditional Patagonian barbecue at the forested shore of the river
- Trek through the Tagua Tagua Park, delighting at the beauty of the rainforest, streams, waterfalls, and local flora and fauna
- Complete the hike with a helicopter trip from Quetru Lagoon or a jet boat journey from Alerce Cabin
- Stay at a charming lodge with a warm and natural style, built sensitively in the surroundings of Lake Tagua Tagua, and operating entirely off grid
Day 1: Arrival and horseback ride to Traidor River
You'll be collected from either Puerto Montt or Puerto Varas, dependent on your preference, and drive directly to your accommodation on the edges of Lake Tagua Tagua.
Set out on a horseback ride adventure by initially crossing Lake Tagua Tagua on the lodge's jet boat. You'll reach Jabali Island, where the horses await for the ride south along the Puelo River, toward the Junta and eventually the mouth of the Traidor River. The ride takes approximately 3 hours, and you'll be accompanied by a local guide.
At the river you will enjoy an authentic Patagonian “asado” (barbecue). After lunch you'll then return to the lodge by jet boat, cruising down the Puelo River.
Day 2: Trek in Tagua Tagua Park
Begin by again crossing Lake Tagua Tagua by jet boat to arrive at the park entrance. There begins the adventure along ancient rain forests, streams and waterfalls, and unique vegetation in this one-of-a-kind nature preserve. You'll hike for two hours to the Alerce Cabin, followed by a four hour hike to the Quetros Cabin.
In the afternoon, the helicopter will pick you up at the Quetros heliport (2 passengers, 1 guide). If you hike to the Alerce Cabin only, you will instead hike back to the park entrance where the jet boat awaits for your return journey.
Four/five night option only: Day 3: Caribbean beach barbecue
Caribbean beach “asado” (barbecue): Take a 45 minute ride on the Viper jet boat on the Puelo River, experiencing its occasional rapids, a scenic journey with some occasional rapids that takes you to the stunning Playa Caribe. Make the most of your time at this stunning white sand beach, Caribbean like with its lush vegetation surroundings, while the chef prepares a delicious Patagonian asado on the beach.
Five night option only: Day 4: Fly fishing in the Puelo River
Spend half a day out fly fishing in the some of the most abundant sections of the Puelo River, enjoying the stillness of the turquoise waters and accompanied by a local guide.
Day 3/4/5: Depart and transfer
After a final breakfast at the lodge, you will be transferred back to either Puerto Montt or Puerto Varas for your onward travels.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Price is per person, based on a double standard suite. Please enquire for more details.
The price of $2,089 USD above is the price per person for 3 nights.
The price of $2,231 USD is the price per person for 4 nights
The price of $3,300 USD is the price per person for 5 nights
- Meals: all meals and drinks during stay (wine, beer, sours and soft drinks)
- Accommodation: 3, 4 or 5 nights lodge accommodation
- All activities as described in the itinerary
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Any extra/optional excursions
- Travel insurance
- Personal Equipment (request our recommended kit list for more details)
- International and domestic/in country flights
- Drinks during lunch or dinner
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses