Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Hike for three days barely seeing another hiker
- Pass high altitude lagoons with extraordinary views down onto the valleys below
- Trek over a mountain pass to reveal the Andes as far as the eye can see
- With your main luggage kept at the base camp, you'll explore with minimal weight
- End each evening with delicious hot meals cooked by your expert guide (and porter)
Day 1: Chico River Valley
The first day begins near the city of Ushuaia where you will go into the Chico River Valley to gradually ascend, crossing mountain streams, 'los amigos' waterfall, peat bogs and beaver dams. You walk for approximately 4 hours (6.6 km) until reaching the base camp. Leaving our main luggage at camp, you can choose to either trek to the viewpoint of Carbajal Valley (2 hrs, 2.38 km) or Punta Chloe (2 hrs, 1.33 km). The choice might be made for you as a result of weather and ground conditions.
Have a snack once you've arrived back at the camp and relax until dinner time – a delicious meal surrounded by the mountains.
Accommodation: Chico River Camp
Meals: Lunch and dinner
Day 2: Lagoon Tour
After breakfast, you'll begin the second day with a trek to the base of the Torres del Río Chico (2 hrs). Then, you will ascend to the north edge to to reach the Valle de las Lagunas (Valley of the Lagoons). The first will be Matamico Lagoon with its stunning turquoise shades – if the weather allows you can enjoy the views while having lunch here. Continuing on, you'll reach Chiming Lagoon, before finishing at the spectacular Halcón Lagoon.
You'll walk for around 6 hours (6.6 km) over the day, returning to the camp for a restful evening and dinner.
Accommodation: Chico River Camp
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 3: Manutata to Ushuaia
On the third day, you will get to do the trek that you did not do on the first day; either the viewpoint of Carbajal Valley or Punta Chloe. Lunch here before returning to the base camp to pack up, then return to Ushuaia in the afternoon, where you will be picked up for your transfer at around 1600.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $450 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
The trip is suited for people with or without trekking experience, but a general level of fitness is required to manage more than 5 hours per day of walking for a maximum of three days. If desired, the itinerary can be modified with shorter routes in some places.
- Meals: 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners and hot drinks
- Accommodation: 2 nights camping
- Sleeping bags and liners
- Cooking equipment
- Personal insurance
- All private transport included in the itinerary
- English and Spanish speaking mountain guide
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Any extra/optional excursions
- Hiking boots
- Other personal equipment (request our recommended kit list for more details)
- International and domestic/in country flights
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses