Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Arrive at Estancia El Condor
- Trek along the main arm of the San Martin lake and the left band of the river Martinez de Rosas
- Walk through forests and gradually descend to reach the western valleys and the Desierto Lake
- Transportation back to El Chalten
Day 1: Estancia El Condor
Welcome at El Calafate airport. Transfer to the Estancia El Condor. Overnight in tents or beds.
Accommodation: Estancia El Condor
Day 2: San Martin lake
After breakfast, you'll pack up your backpacks and start the trek heading north along the main arm of the San Martin lake. Your destination is the area called Nana refuge. You can choose to sleep in tents or in the refuge.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Accommodation: Nana refuge
Day 3: River Martinez de Rosas
From La Nana to Altamirano refuge (in ruins) , the terrain is more rugged, with many short climbs and descents and always overlooking the San Martin lake. You will be walking at a short distance from the border with Chile. There are some good places for lunch. Today you will stay on the left band of the river Martinez de Rosas until you get to your camp.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Accommodation: Altamirano refuge
Day 4: Continue up the valley
You continue up the valley through beautiful beech forest, until reaching a fork formed by two rivers which you'll cross at least 2 times today. After gaining a 200 to 300 meter at the beginning, you continue heading up more gradually. You maintain that height gained through forests and meadows as we move into the valley. Your camp is near a water stream. Today is also a long day between 7-8 hours, tiring by the number of wadings and slopes to climb, although it is only about 12 km.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Accommodation: Wild camping
Day 5: Desierto lake and transfer back to El Chalten
You'll walk through the forest continuously gaining altitude, before crossing the limits of the vegetation and climb further up to 1350 meters. Then you gradually descend into a valley running south. Once we get to the end of this valley and after crossing a wide pass we can see to the other side, to the western valleys and the Desierto Lake. You have about 18 km and the downhill terrain is quite rugged before you get to the centre of the lake. From there you'll walk another hour to reach the south part of the Desierto Lake. You'll then take your transportation back to El Chalten.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $2,265 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
The price of $2,265 per person is based on a group of 2 people, the price of $1,970 per person is based on a group of 3 people and the price of $1,760 per person is based on a group of 4 people
- Ground transportation as described in the itinerary above
- Professional mountain guide for the trek
- Assistant/porter for the group to carry meals (above 3 persons group)
- Insurance Tents and all camping gear (no sleeping bag/mat)
- All meals during trekking program
- Accommodation as described in the itinerary above
- Entrance to the National Park and permits for the program
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Personal expenses and equipment
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses