Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Perfect for those wanting to get off the beaten track, visiting a unique area and getting up close with the local wildlife
- Cross the Senoret Channel to the Peninsula Antonia Varas on a barge
- Hike to Cerro Ballena summit
- Tour of Estancia La Fernanda
- Opportunities to spot eagles, caracaras, cormorants, hawks, woodpeckers and owls
Landmarks visited on Wildlife Explorer Trek
We start early with an early departure from Puerto Natales to the ferry port. Assuming the weather conditions are favourable we will cross over to Peninsula Antonio Varas on the Senoret Chanel barge.
Upon landing at the Peninsula, we will take a gentle hike to the base of the Cerro Ballena and look for shorebirds. The focus here is to take our time, stopping regularly to spot wildlife and really immerse ourselves in the landscape.
We will have lunch at the Estancia La Fernanda base camp. Once the tents have been set up, you will have a free afternoon to explore the local area - there are plenty of trails along the Senoret Chanel beach and through the Nothofagus forests.
We will wait until sunset to enjoy our dinner. If we're lucky, the owls that live above the campsite will make a late-night appearance.
Meals: Lunch, Dinner
After an early breakfast, we will then hike to the summit of Cerro Ballena which will provide us with spectacular views of the Balmaceda and Serrano glaciers, the Eberhard fjord as well as the Paine massif in the distance. This is also a perfect spot to look out for condors.
We will enjoy a packed lunch before descending Cerro Ballena and starting our tour of the Estancia La Fernanda to learn more about this very traditional Chilean way of living.
Once the tour has finished we will be picked up and transferred back to Punta Daroch where we will catch the barge back to Puerto Natales.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
What our customers think
The trek to see the condors was amazing, we saw so many of the beautiful birds up close and were lucky enough to see dozens of other birds, including owls.
Jana and Ben November 2016
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $500 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
- Price is based per person
- The crossing by ferry to and from the Antonio Varas Peninsula depends on the weather conditions, particularly wind and it is according to Chilean Navy reports. This could delay the crossings into the mainland and increase waiting time.
- NOTE: It is recommended to not have same day flights or bus transfers on as the day of return.
- Food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, including snacks, wine and juice
- Ticket across the Peninsula
- Local guide
- Camping at La Fernanda Estencia
- Tent rental
- Sleeping pad
- Optical equipment for bird watching
- Transportation by vehicle back to Puerto Natales
- Departing barbeque at Hostal Coloane
- Sleeping Bags
- (Outdoor equipment can be rented in Puerto Natales)