Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Follow an enchanting suggested route through Chile, with use of a car allowing freedom to stop and soak up the highlights as you wish
- See the General Carrera Lake, the Andes and the Northern Ice Field appear before you as you wind through mountain roads
- Meet with the marine life kayaking around the surreal Marble Caves, and cruise the pro glacial waters of Laguna San Rafael, reaching the highly active San Rafael Glacier
- Car rental and overnight stops are taken care of - experience the charm of several local lodgings along the route
Day 1: Balmaceda to Coyhaique
Arrive at Balmaceda airport and and transfer to the main town of the region, Coyhaique. Here there is some free time to tour the town, have some lunch and check into your accommodation. In the afternoon, transfer to Estancia Punta del Monte, in Coyhaique Alto, where you will have dinner and lodging.
Journey: 1 hours / 60km
Accommodation: Lodging in Coyhaique
Day 2: Coyhaique to Puerto Tranquilo
This morning, you will start your journey along the extremely scenic Carretera Austral, to the south of the region. Crossing the Ibañez valley, passing Cerro Castillo's peaks and through humid forests, you will drive through some of the most remote areas of the Aysén region. Reaching the village of Puerto Tranquilo, you can enjoy an excursion by boat to the mysterious and stunning marble caves and then check into your accommodation.
Journey: 3.5 hours / 220km
Accommodation: Lodging in Puerto Tranquilo
Day 3: San Rafael glacier
There's an early departure from Puerto Tranquilo to Bahía Exploradores to take a cruise to the San Rafael glacier. You will spend a full day onboard with breakfast, lunch and coffee all included. Navigating through the fjords you should arrive at San Rafael lagoon by midday where there will be time to get close to the icebergs and appreciate them. The boat returns to Bahía Exploradores around 5pm and then you take a two hour drive to the ecolodge at Mallín Colorado to spend the night.
Journey: 3.5 hours
Meals: Breakfast , lunch and dinner
Accommodation: Mallín Colorado Ecolodge
Day 4: Hike the trails at Mallín Colorado
Take breakfast in the main lodge and then enjoy an outing around Mallín Colorado, through native forests of coigüe and lenga trees, with excellent views to the glaciers of Cordón Contreras, lake Bertrand and lake General Carrera. In the afternoon you have free time, perfect for enjoying the 3km of pathways around the lodge at Mallín Colorado or just to relax and enjoy the stunning views.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Accommodation: Mallín Colorado Ecolodge
Day 5:Mallín Colorado to Chile Chico (Ferry to Coyhaique)
After breakfast, drive along the cliff shore of Lake General Carrera, the most beautiful road in Chile, on the way to visit the town of Chile Chico. If, on this day there is a ferry from Chile Chico to Puerto Ibáñez, your tour will continue on to Coyhaique today. If not, drive back to Mallín Colorado, for dinner and lodging.
Journey: 2.5 hours (to Chile Chico) / 7 hours (to Coyhaique)
Meals: Breakfast and dinner
Accommodation: Mallín Colorado Ecolodge or lodging in Coyahique
Day 6: Transfer to Balmaceda airport
After breakfast, transfer to Balmaceda airport for your journey home.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Price of USD $2,530 per person based on a group of 2 people.
Departures can be set up for a minimum of 2 people. Please get in touch for details.
- 6 days car rental: 4x4 vehicle
- 1 (possibly 2) nights lodging in Coyhaique
- 1 night in Puerto Tranquilo
- 2 nights at Mallín Colorado Ecolodge
- 1 night in Chile Chico (or Coyhaique)
- 5 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 2 dinners
- Boat excursion to the marble caves
- Boat excursion to San Rafael glacier
- Ferry boat across lake General Carrera
- Access to hiking trails at Mallín Colorado
- Beverages and alcoholic beverages
- Lunch (except onboard boat excursion to Glacier O'Higgins Glacier)
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Personal expenses and equipment
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses