Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Transfer from Puerto Natales
- Kayak through floes of ice that have descended from Glacier Grey
- Amazing views of the magnificent Paine Massif; including Paine Grande, the Cordillera Olguin, and Los Cuernos (The Horns of Paine)
- Kayak down the Grey river through rapids towards Serrano Village
- Transfer back to Puerto Natales
Day 1: Transport to Grey Lake, Kayaking excursion and transport back to Puerto Natales
Distance: 18 miles / Paddling Time: 4 - 5 Hours
Private transportation will be provided from your hotel/hostel to the shores of Grey Lake, located in Torres del Paine National Park. The journey will carry you 67 miles north of Puerto Natales via the new road, which provides southern access to the park. While enjoying the view of Paine Grande and Glacier Grey, the guide will give a brief explanation of safety and instructions for paddling efficiently.
You will navigate the lake for approximately 1.5 hours, all the while paddling through floes of ice that have descended from Glacier Grey. These icebergs are scattered throughout the lake and are sculpted into incredible shapes by the wind and sun, before being pushed to the shores of the lake. During the entire navigation, you will have an amazing view of the magnificent Paine Massif; including Paine Grande, the Cordillera Olguin, and Los Cuernos (The Horns of Paine). These mountains, together with the multiple tones of turquoise water, make for a perfect contrast with the enormous walls of granite and sedimentary rock.
After paddling in Grey Lake, you will begin the descent of Grey River. The river serpents through deep canyons with steep rock faces, creating sections of rapids that are exciting and entertaining. You will have the opportunity to appreciate many different species of aquatic birds that inhabit the river, including the peculiar Pato Anteojillo (Spectacled Duck) and Pato Cortacorrientes (Torrent duck). Continue to paddle next to the Paine Massif, the length of Grey River until it joins with the turquoise water of the Serrano River. After paddling for 3 - 4 hours, the adventure comes to an end at Serrano Village.
Private transportation is provided for your return to Puerto Natales.
What our customers think
Kayaking Serrano River was amazing. I've never been so close to a glacier while on the water.
Jan Reichelderfer United States Of America February 2018
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
This trip is almost always booked alongside a W Trek, get in touch to find out more.
- Private transportation from and back to Puerto Natales
- Accident Insurance for each participant
- Certified local guides
- Double kayaks
- Kayak equipment
- Safety equipment
- Entrance to Torres del Paine National Park
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Personal expenses and equipment
- Travel insurance
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses