Why we like this hotel
- The best views, by far, of any hotel in San Pedro with a landscape of volcano peaks, including Licancabor.
- The best spa and pool in the area. There’s a cold water outside pool next to a hot water bath in which to warm up.
- A beautiful oasis garden of natural native plants, enjoyed via the wooden walkway en route to the quincho.
- The quincho every Saturday evening where tables are set around a fire pit with traditional Chilean musicians playing and an incredible BBQ.
- After a couple of days filled with activities, you may feel like simply sitting down to relax by the pool and there is quite simply no better place to do it.
Tierra Atacama offer a wonderful variety of excursions in the Atacama Desert as well as tours to San Pedro de Atacama.
There are options for hiking, biking, tours by vehicle and stargazing.
The small group, or private, biking excursions are ideal for those with no prior experience and your expert guide will match you to activities that will help you get the most from your stay.
Tierra Atacama offer both half- and full-day hiking trips, with varying physical demands.
Highlights include walking to dramatic rock formations to see some of the oldest petroglyphs in the region, following trails amongst giant cacti in the Guatin Gatchi Valley, or climbing to the summit of the awe-inspiring Cerro Toco Volcano near the border with Bolivia.
Take a half-day excursion by bike from the hotel towards the edge of the Atacama Salt Flat.
It’s a ride along mainly flat tracks to Cejar Lagoon where you can float on the crystal-clear waters due to the extremely high salt concentration.
You’ll return to the hotel by vehicle.
There is a choice of half- or full-day voyages by vehicle to some of the most spectacular locations in the region. All of these trips are ideal for those who don’t want to undertake physically demanding activities.
These excursions include stops at the iconic Tatio Geysers, beautiful high-plain lagoons and the flamingos at Chaxa Lagoon.
Excursion to three lagoons
Tierra offer a special interest half-day excursion to the Rainbow Valley - a geological and archaeological marvel.
This walls of this valley, in the Domeyko Mountains, are striped with a stunning array of colours.
The trip also stops at Hierbas Buenas for the pre-Columbian petroglpyhs.
After a couple of days filled with activities, you may feel like simply sitting down to relax by the pool and there is quite simply no better place to do it. You have the best spa in San Pedro and the best views from it!
About Tierra Atacama
Tierra Atacama is located on the edge of San Pedro de Atacama, the main town in the Atacama Desert.
It was designed by renowned Chilean architects, sympathetic to local sensibilities and incorporates eco-friendly construction with all the comforts you’d expect from a high-end hotel.
Behind the rough adobe wall and through the impressive stone gates you’ll find an open-plan lounge-bar and restaurant, a spa, pools and an oasis garden.
View to Licancabur Volcano from Tierra Atacama
Food & Drink
Expert chefs create light and tasty dishes which complement the high altitude and warm days of the region. Local produce is used wherever possible in the food which often takes its inspiration from north Chilean cuisine.
Expect colourful salads, quinoa, Puervian corn and a range of meat or vegetable mains.
There’s a quincho (BBQ) every Saturday evening which is not to be missed.
Restaurant at Tierra Atacama
Spa & Wellness
The Uma Spa at Tierra Atacama features an outdoor hot tub with views of Licancabur Volcano, an infinity pool surrounded by the hotel gardens and an indoor space with a heated pool. There is also a steam room and treatment rooms offering massages and body wraps.
Yoga classes are offered and there’s always the opportunity to seek out a peaceful spot in the hotel grounds and take time to quietly soak up the atmosphere.
Tierra Atacama spa
Rooms and Pricing
There are three accommodation types at Tierra Atacama:
- Oriente and Poniente - These rooms - 16 of each type - have private terraces and outdoor bathrooms for showering under the night sky. All rooms have superb views - the Oriente rooms look towards Licancabur Volcano and the Poniente rooms towards the Cordillera del Sal.
- Family - There are two family suites, each sleeping up to six people in three bedrooms over two levels. There are two twin rooms downstairs and a master suite upstairs. Each bedroom has its own en suite bathroom.
All rooms have WiFi, private terrace, bathroom with shower, central heating, air conditioning, ceiling fan, hairdryer and safety deposit box.
The 2022/23 high season rates for four nights are:
- Oriente and Poniente - USD $4,400 per person (based on two people sharing)
- Family - USD $17,600 for four people (extra people at $4,400)
Seasons are as follows:
- Low - May & Jun 2023
- Mid - Oct 2022; Mar & Apr 2023; Jul, Aug & Sep 2023
- High - Nov & Dec 2022; Jan & Feb 2023
- Transfer from/to Calama Airport (CJC)
- Buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Open bar (premium wines and vintage liquors available for an extra cost)
- Daily excursions
- Use of pools, sauna and jacuzzi (massage, treatments and therapies payable at the hotel)
Ready to plan your Patagonia adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.
Whatever your budget, group size, length of stay, preferred activity or appetite for adventure, we can help.1-855-369-7866
Browse Patagonia Hotels by region or take a look at Swoop's top recommendations for places to stay in Patagonia.
Patagonia is a vast and varied region, with a wealth of things to see and do, a range of places to stay and a limited transport network.
Why not let us do the hard work for you? Our team of experts will work with you to design an adventure to your exact requirements, from hiking and horse-riding trips to wine-tasting tours and undiscovered lodges.
We’ll work around your budget and arrange flights, transfers and buses, to create your perfect trip.