Why we like this hotel
- The best views, by far, of any hotel in San Pedro with a landscape of volcano peaks, including Licancabor.
- The best spa and pool in the area. There’s a cold water outside pool next to a hot water bath in which to warm up whilst you enjoy the beautiful oasis garden of natural native plants.
- A broad range of half and full-day excursions are offered, with no minimum group sizes. Private excursions are included for guests staying in the suites.
- The quincho every Saturday evening where tables are set around a fire pit with traditional Chilean musicians playing and an incredible BBQ.
- After a couple of days filled with activities, you may feel like simply sitting down to relax by the pool and there is quite simply no better place to do it.
Tierra Atacama offer a wonderful variety of excursions in the Atacama Desert as well as tours to San Pedro de Atacama.
There are options for hiking, biking, tours by vehicle and stargazing.
The small group, or private, biking excursions are ideal for those with no prior experience and your expert guide will match you to activities that will help you get the most from your stay. Private excursions are included for guests staying in the suites.
Please see the full list of excursions available.
Tierra Atacama offer both half- and full-day hiking trips, with varying physical demands.
Highlights include walking to dramatic rock formations to see some of the oldest petroglyphs in the region, following trails amongst giant cacti in the Guatin Gatchi Valley, or climbing to the summit of the awe-inspiring Cerro Toco Volcano near the border with Bolivia.
Take a half-day excursion by bike from the hotel towards the edge of the Atacama Salt Flat.
It’s a ride along mainly flat tracks to Cejar Lagoon where you can float on the crystal-clear waters due to the extremely high salt concentration.
You’ll return to the hotel by vehicle.
There is a choice of half- or full-day voyages by vehicle to some of the most spectacular locations in the region. All of these trips are ideal for those who don’t want to undertake physically demanding activities.
These excursions include stops at the iconic Tatio Geysers, beautiful high-plain lagoons and the flamingos at Chaxa Lagoon.
Tierra offer a special interest half-day excursion to the Rainbow Valley - a geological and archaeological marvel.
This walls of this valley, in the Domeyko Mountains, are striped with a stunning array of colours.
The trip also stops at Hierbas Buenas for the pre-Columbian petroglpyhs.
After a couple of days filled with activities, you may feel like simply sitting down to relax by the pool and there is quite simply no better place to do it. You have the best spa in San Pedro and the best views from it!
About Tierra Atacama
Tierra Atacama is located on the edge of San Pedro de Atacama, the main town in the Atacama Desert.
It was designed by renowned Chilean architects, sympathetic to local sensibilities and incorporates eco-friendly construction with all the comforts you’d expect from a high-end hotel.
Behind the rough adobe wall and through the impressive stone gates you’ll find an open-plan lounge-bar and restaurant, a spa, pools and an oasis garden.
Food & Drink
Expert chefs create light and tasty dishes which complement the high altitude and warm days of the region. Local produce is used wherever possible in the food which often takes its inspiration from north Chilean cuisine.
Expect colourful salads, quinoa, Puervian corn and a range of meat or vegetable mains.
There’s a quincho (BBQ) every Saturday evening which is not to be missed.
Spa & Wellness
The Uma Spa at Tierra Atacama features an outdoor hot tub with views of Licancabur Volcano, an infinity pool surrounded by the hotel gardens and an indoor space with a heated pool. There is also a steam room and treatment rooms offering massages and body wraps.
Yoga classes are offered and there’s always the opportunity to seek out a peaceful spot in the hotel grounds and take time to quietly soak up the atmosphere.
Rooms and Pricing
There are three accommodation types at Tierra Atacama:
- Poniente and Oriente - These rooms - 16 of each type - have private terraces and outdoor bathrooms for showering under the night sky. All rooms have superb views - the Oriente rooms look towards Licancabur Volcano and the Poniente rooms towards the Cordillera del Sal.
- Family - There are two family suites, each sleeping up to six people in three bedrooms over two levels. There are two twin rooms downstairs and a master suite upstairs. Each bedroom has its own en suite bathroom.
All rooms have WiFi, private terrace, bathroom with shower, central heating, air conditioning, ceiling fan, hairdryer and safety deposit box.
The 2023/24 high season rates for four nights are:
- Poniente - USD $4,160 per person
- Oriente - USD $4,600 per person
- Family - USD $14,960 for four people (extra people at $3,320)
Seasons are as follows:
- Low - May & Jun 2024
- Mid - Oct 2023; Mar & Apr 2024; Jul, Aug & Sep 2023
- High - 1st Nov to 19th Dec 2023; 7th Jan to 7th Feb 2024; 16th to 29th Feb 2024
- Peak - 20th Dec 2023 to 6th Jan 2024; 8th to 15th Feb 2024
- Transfer from/to Calama Airport (CJC)
- Buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Open bar (premium wines and vintage liquors available for an extra cost)
- Daily excursions
- Use of pools, sauna and jacuzzi (massage, treatments and therapies payable at the hotel)
Hotel Closure - 2024/25 Season
Please note - Tierra Atacama will be closed for refurbishment from 1st April 2024 to 1st March 2025.
Contact us to discuss alternative accommodation options.
Ready to plan your Patagonia adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.
Patagonia is a vast and varied region, with a wealth of things to see and do, a range of places to stay and a limited transport network.
Why not let us do the hard work for you? Our team of experts will work with you to design an adventure to your exact requirements, from hiking and horse-riding trips to wine-tasting tours and undiscovered lodges.
We’ll work around your budget and arrange flights, transfers and buses, to create your perfect trip.